This blog is about how I became a step-mother and lessons I have learned. Here I discuss what I learned, what I thought I knew and how wrong I truly was. I can only hope that this blog will help other step-mothers realize, it is ok to feel like a selfish brat. It is ok to feel the pain and scream in agony, as long as you are willing to come out on the other side..... Someday.

Saturday, April 11, 2009

So where did I learn my step-mom skills?

So where exactly did I learn my amazing parental skills you ask? Well as I sit quitely, only because the children are sleeping, I wonder to myself "How did you end up with these amazing skills, to ignore and resent children"? Oh that's right I once too was a step-child.  

My father had an amazing skill at finding the one person on the planet that had no skill to care for another human being, let alone a small child.  She couldn't relate to us in any fashion at all. I remember thinking to myself, if there was an emergency who is going to take care of us?  Don't get me wrong she was a nice enough person, she just had the personality of a dry piece of toast. When I think back to the many conversations we had together I think we only exchanged a total of 11 words.  

I know that I was not the easiest person to deal with, but it just seemed like she made no effort at all to break through the walls that I had built to protect me from the reality of my new, seperated existance.  

Was this how it all began?  Did this tragic relationship shaped my future ability as a step-parent, as a regular parent?  This was something I need to ponder longer.  I need to undestand what skills, or rather lack there of, that I have learned and how they have molded me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Powered by FeedBurner

The content on this page may not be edited or re-transmitted without written permission of the author.