This blog is about how I became a step-mother and lessons I have learned. Here I discuss what I learned, what I thought I knew and how wrong I truly was. I can only hope that this blog will help other step-mothers realize, it is ok to feel like a selfish brat. It is ok to feel the pain and scream in agony, as long as you are willing to come out on the other side..... Someday.

Friday, April 17, 2009

How do I answer that...

So there I am in the car with my 7 year old son and somehow we get on the discussion of parents and so forth. When I explain that my step-daughter has another mommy. I knew in the back of my head that was going start the inevitable... why this and why that and so on. So I took a deep breath and braced myself for the 1st grade inquisition.

It is amazing how persistent they are, "because" just doesn't cut it with them. They want all the details, not that they will remember them five minutes from now, but they demand them anyway.

Telling him I wasn't her "real" mommy wasn't the problem. The hard part is explaining why her biological mother doesn't see her anymore. Why his "new" sister just showed up one day to visit, then a little over a year later moved in. Why her mother decided one day she just didn't want to participate. I had a hard enough time trying to rationalize this with my teenage step daughter, there was no way I could explain it to him.

Well I didn't have to, in his innocent and understanding fashion he simply said.. because she is upset with Marisa? Wow, how does a 7 year old grasp the concept that a mother is upset when her daughter finally realizes that she is a ruthless, lying, manipulating sociopath and decides to jump ship and live with the father she has only known for 2 years.

What was I supposed to say to him. Her mother could not give up the fight. She spent 10 years hiding her daughter from her father and his family, then when he finally tracks her crazy ass down, she pretends she wasn't hiding from "him", he simply didn't know where she was... HMMM... Then we get visitation and his daughter now sees the REAL truth behind her mothers insanity and decided she did not want to participate in that madness anymore.

That was something I simply could not tell my son. So I basically said... This is the way GOD wants it to be.. oh and the usual.... we talk about it when your older. There was an entire history that they needed to understand. But now was not the time for that. For now, and probably the next 10 years they will have to suffice with.... because, that's why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Powered by FeedBurner

The content on this page may not be edited or re-transmitted without written permission of the author.